Housing for degree students from the EEA
If you are a degree student from an EEA country studying at HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, you are responsible for securing your own accommodation. There are a number of options available to you, but whatever you do, be quick!
SSH Regular Accommodation
Our housing partner SSH offers rooms to both international and Dutch students looking for housing for an indefinite period in Utrecht. You can live in SSH’s room as long as you are still a student. However, demand vastly outweighs supply, so we can't guarantee a room is available when you need it. The rooms are assigned by registration time and viewing nights. Note that in Utrecht you need to have an average registration time of 20 months before you can apply for a viewing night. Check the current rental offers in Utrecht.
How to get a room through SSH
First of all, you need to register before you can apply for SSH Regular Accommodation. You can find the link to the registration page under Step 1. If you want more information before you register, please check SSH's information for non-Dutch students.
Please note: SSH has a waiting list. After registration, it may take a number of years before you are able to book accommodation.
You will receive an email asking you to confirm your registration and pay the registration fee. Registration with SSH costs € 20. Your registration time starts counting from the moment you have paid.
Once you have entered a password and paid the registration fee, you may immediately apply for accommodations that are on offer.
Please note the following:
- There can be a waiting period (especially in Utrecht): per viewing night, the top 20 students with the longest registration time who have applied will be invited to view the room.
- The rooms on offer are available immediately or within a period of 3 weeks.
- The viewing night is often at the room itself. If you cannot be present physically, you can ask the house if it's possible to do the viewing online.
After you have enough registration time, you can apply for rooms. The average registration time needed in Utrecht is 20 months. Only the 20 applicants with the longest registration time will get invited to the viewing night. During the viewing night you get to introduce yourself to the current occupants alongside other invited students. The house will choose their new roommate.
If you apply for a self-contained studio, the studio will be assigned to the student with the longest registration time.
Did the house choose you to be their new roommate or did you get the studio? Then the room is yours!
All that's left for you to do is upload the needed documents in My SSH and accept the rental agreement. The SSH won’t charge any additional administration costs for drawing up your contract.
Other accommodation options
There are many websites offering accommodation in and around Utrecht, and demand is extremely high. But be careful, if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is!
Below you'll find a number of websites and agencies that our students have found helpful:
- holland2stay.com (studios and apartments) - Information available in English
- hospihousing.com/en/ (connects you with local hosts) - Information available in English
- www.xior.nl/en (student housing) - Information available in English
- Student for students (rooms) - Information available in English
- Tijdelijkekamers.nl (rooms) - Information available in English, German and Spanish
- www.kamernet.nl (rooms) - Click on ‘English explanation’ at the bottom of the page for instructions in English
- www.directwonen.nl (rooms, studios, apartments) - Information available in English and German
- www.rotsvast.nl (rooms, studios and apartments) - Information available in English
- housinganywhere.com (rooms, studios and apartments) - Information available in English
- www.canvas-student.com (student housing) - Information available in English
- www.kamersutrecht.nl/en/ (rooms) - Information available in English
- www.sonsrealestate.nl (student housing) - Information available in English
- landgoeddijnselburg.nl/welcome-students (student housing, rental period 5 or 12 months) - Information available in English
- www.the-fizz.com/en/ (student housing, minimum rental period 6 months) - Information available in English and German
- www.huurwoningen.nl (rooms, studios and apartments) - Information available in English
- The above agencies/websites operate independently; HU cannot be held responsible for the outcome of any contact between you and these organisations.
- Unfortunately, there are individuals who take advantage of students desperately seeking accommodation. In case of private rental, always sign a proper rental contract with your landlord and never agree to transfer money before you have seen the room and received your keys.
- An agency will usually charge an administrative fee of at least one month's rent.