Hans B. Duits PhD, is main teacher and project leader at the “Dutch profession organisations for accountants” Besides Hans has built up extensive experience working as an external auditor, primarily for clients in the SME segment. In June 2012, Hans was awarded a PhD by the University of Amsterdam for his research into ‘The added value of auditing in a non-mandatory environment’.
Within the research group, Hans mainly focuses on changing business models in the financial services industry (serving SMEs and other segments), with strong emphasis on the following questions:
- What is the added value of an external audit in a non-legal context? This against the background of the current legal requirement for medium-sized enterprises to have their annual accounts reviewed by an external auditor.
- What are the effects of technological innovation and regulations on other providers of financial business services to the SME segment – insurance brokers, for example?
- Which trends relating to the external SME auditor can we observe in the market for financial business services?
In addition, the Research group pays attention to the following two themes:
- Transfers of ownership. Research into success and failure factors during transfers of ownership and acquisitions in the SME segment.
- The economy, health and care. Research into the financial-economic aspects of innovations in the Health and Care sectors.