Linda Smit, MSc, RN (1989) completed her basic vocational training in Nursing (MBO-V) in 2010 and obtained a bachelor’s degree in Nursing (HBO-V) in 2013. In 2014, Linda was conferred a master's degree in Health Sciences – specialisation: infectious diseases and public health by VU Amsterdam. She performed her graduation research at Isala Hospital in Zwolle.
Since 1 September 2015, Linda has been working as a lecturer at HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht, as well as pursuing her doctorate in the Research group Chronic Diseases. Her PhD research focuses on primary care provided to the elderly. Ageing and its consequences, the rapid increase in the number of older people with chronic diseases and multimorbidity are important pillars of this research.
Linda started working in a nursing home after completing her Nursing degree programme. She is and will continue to be driven by an ambition to provide high-quality care to the elderly. This means that she continues to enjoy working in the field next to her activities as a lecturer and PhD candidate.
Other positions and activities
- Participant in the European Academy of Nursing Science summer school for PhD students.
- Member of the European Academy of Nursing Science.
- Nurse in the Nursing Service of the care institution ‘Het Baken’.
Fields of expertise
- Primary eldercare
- Practice-based research
- Unravelling complex primary-care programs to maintain independent living in older people a systematic overview
- Infectious complications after major abdominal cancer surgery in search of improvable risk factors