Maartje’s research roadmap is broad and interdisciplinary, and inspired by contemporary societal challenges. To make an impact beyond academia she is also active on social media and editor-in-chief of Acadeafic.
Maartje is also a lecturer at the Instituut voor Gebaren, Taal en Dovenstudies (IGT&D). She teaches in the Bachelor Interpreter NGT/Dutch and teacher NGT, and in the Master Deaf Studies. She is further affiliated to Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh as a Honorary Research Fellow.
- 2017-2019: Postdoctoral Research Fellow University of Namur (MOVE-IN Louvain Incoming Postdoctoral Fellowship co-funded by the Marie Curie Actions of the European Commission)
- 2016: PhD at the University of Jyväskylä (Finland) with a study about deaf communities’ aspirations for the legal recognition of sign languages
- 2007-2011: staff member advocacy with Doof Vlaanderen (Belgium)
- 2005-2006: MSc in Deaf Studies, University of Bristol (UK)
- 2000-2005: MA Pedagogical Sciences, option Disability Studies, Ghent University
- Deaf Studies
- Applied language studies