Applying for a university programme can be a daunting process. HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht wants to make things as easy for you as possible. We have broken the application process for degree students down into eight easy steps.

Below, you can check the admission requirements for your programme. If you think you are eligible, please continue with the application process.

Admission requirements for our English-taught bachelor programmes

You need a diploma comparable to the Dutch Mbo-4 or Havo diplomas. In general, a diploma that gives you access to higher education in your home country allows you entrance to HU. We base our admission decisions on the information supplied by Nuffic, our national diploma evaluation agency. You can look up your diploma in their database of foreign education systems.

Please note: You need to provide our International Office with a (transcribed) copy of your diploma for official evaluation.

Whether you apply for an English or Dutch-taught programme, you need to conform to the programme's language requirements. Check the required level at the programme page of your choice. You can also check the general information on language requirements.

How to apply in 8 steps

Below, you find the steps you need to take to apply. Although the steps are numbered for your convenience, they are not necessarily linear, so be sure to read through all of them before you start the application process. Check your email inbox (and spam folder!) after each step.

  1. Check the deadlines for your situation

  2. Apply for the programme online

  3. Upload your application documents

  4. What if I receive my diploma after the deadline?

  5. Arrange your language test (if applicable)

  6. Take part in the Programme Selection Check

  7. Arrange payment of your tuition fees

  8. Apply for your visa or residence permit (if applicable)

  9. Apply for a scholarship (non-EEA)

Practical preparation for your time at HU

  • You need to find a place to live. On our Housing page we tell you what to do and what to look out for. Whatever you do, do it sooner rather than later!
  • Insurance is an important part of setting yourself up to live in the Netherlands. Health insurance is mandatory and there are other insurances you might want to take out.
  • Working in another country can really enhance your experience – and boost your international profile! As an international student in the Netherlands, you are allowed to have a part-time job during your studies, but there are some rules and regulations to think of.
  • Prepare for your life in Utrecht. There is much to learn about the city and its environs, and there are introduction and buddy programmes to help you get settled in.

Fully enrolled?

Have you been accepted to HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht? Congratulations!

There are just a few more things to take care of:

  • After your enrolment is completed, you'll receive proof of enrolment and your student ID card in myHU. You can access myHU in your browser or download the app (only available for iOS). Make sure to upload your passport picture in Osiris Student to complete your digital student card.
  • Three months prior to your programme start date you receive your HU account details. From that moment on you can check your enrolment status via MyHU. You can find information about reading materials, introduction programmes and schedules on myHU as of June.

Stay informed?

Sign up for our international newsletter and we keep you updated about our international bachelor programmes and HU University.

Can I transfer from another (Dutch) university to HU and take my credits with me?

While it is not impossible to transfer international credits, it is not an easy process and we generally advise students to attempt it only if they are willing to start in year one if necessary. This is because of two reasons: 

  • A request to transfer credits has to be put in for each subject separately; offering supporting documents on its level and content. 
  • A transfer request can only be made after the start of the programme. This means that by the time you start your programme, you will probably not yet know if you will be allowed to transfer any credits.

Authorising a third party for your registration

If you cannot organise your registration yourself, you may authorise someone to do so on your behalf. We call this person your representative. To authorise someone to be your representative, you need to fill in the form Authorisation Representative together. Make sure the form is filled out completely and undersigned by you both. Send a scanned copy of the form to

Choosing a HU minor

In the bachelor degree programme you can choose a minor to deepen or broaden your knowledge about a specific area of expertise, giving you the edge when applying for your first job. We offer a range of English-language minors, so be sure to check them out today.