Language proficiency is essential for successful participation in one of our programmes. International students who enrol in one of HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht's English-taught programmes must provide sufficient results of an English-language test (see table below).
Exemptions may be granted – please refer to the list below for more information.
International students who apply for a Dutch-taught programme must provide proof of Dutch proficiency of at least CEFR level B2.
Bachelor programmes: proof of English proficiency
HU accepts one of the following documents as proof of English proficiency:
|Certificate of TOEFL||Internet-based||80|
|Certificate of IELTS||Academic||6.0|
|TOEIC||Test of English for International Communication||670 - 290|
|Cambridge English||Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)||Grade C scale 180 - 184|
|Cambridge English First (FCE)||Grade B scale 173 - 175|
|Cambridge English First (FCE)||Grade C scale 169 - 172|
Exemptions to the English Language Requirement
Some international students are granted exemption from the English language test based on their high school diploma:
- Students who have obtained a secondary school diploma in the UK, US, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
- Students with an accredited international American high-school diploma or British international GCSE/A-levels.
- Students with the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, the Caribbean Examinations Council certificate, or European Baccalaureate with English as first or second language.
Please check the complete list of applicable countries and diplomas. Please note that the above only applies if you actually took English as an exam subject in your final year!
All other students must submit a proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the above certificates.
Bachelor programmes: proof of Dutch proficiency
Students with a foreign diploma must show proof of Dutch proficiency to enrol into a programme taught in Dutch. This also applies to students with Dutch nationality who have obtained their high school diploma outside of the Netherlands.
HU accepts the following documents as proof of Dutch proficiency:
- NT2 Diploma Programme II (CEFR level B2). The NT2-II test is centrally administered through DUO; check their website for information on test dates, scheduling and costs.
- Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language (CVaNT in Dutch); either certificate 'STRT' (CEFR level B2) or certificate 'EDUP' (CEFR level C1).