Language requirements

Language proficiency is essential for successful participation in one of our programmes. International students who enrol in one of HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht's English-taught programmes must provide sufficient results of an English-language test (see table below).

students in front of cityhall

Exemptions may be granted – please refer to the list below for more information. 

International students who apply for a Dutch-taught programme must provide proof of Dutch proficiency of at least CEFR level B2.

Bachelor programmes: proof of English proficiency

HU accepts one of the following documents as proof of English proficiency:

Name   Type   Minimum score
Certificate of TOEFL  Internet-based  80 
  Paper-based  550 
Certificate of IELTS  Academic   6.0 
TOEIC   Test of English for International Communication  670 - 290 
Cambridge English  Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)   Grade C scale 180 - 184 
  Cambridge English First (FCE)  Grade B scale 173 - 175 
  Cambridge English First (FCE)  Grade C scale 169 - 172 

Do you need to take an English-language exam?

You can get information on test dates, scheduling and costs at the respective websites of  TOEFL or IELTS, or Cambridge English. When taking the TOEFL or IELTS exam, please use HU's institutional code 9942 for your results to be copied to us directly.

Exemptions to the English Language Requirement

Some international students are granted exemption from the English language test based on their high school diploma:

  • Students who have obtained a secondary school diploma in the UK, US, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
  • Students with an accredited international American high-school diploma or British international GCSE/A-levels.
  • Students with the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, the Caribbean Examinations Council certificate, or European Baccalaureate with English as first or second language. 

Please check the complete list of applicable countries and diplomas. Please note that the above only applies if you actually took English as an exam subject in your final year!
All other students must submit a proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the above certificates.

Bachelor programmes: proof of Dutch proficiency

Students with a foreign diploma must show proof of Dutch proficiency to enrol into a Dutch-taught programme. This also applies to students with a Dutch nationality who have obtained their high school diploma outside of the Netherlands.

HU accepts the following documents as proof of Dutch proficiency: