After graduation

When you graduate, you will receive a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree, together with the International Diploma Supplement (IDS) in English. Job prospects for English teachers remain strong. If you pursue a double degree, you will even have better job opportunities.

Three students talking & working together

Which jobs can I apply for after Teacher Education in English?

With your degree, you may work in secondary education, teaching the first three to four years, and at vocational and language schools. You can also become a freelancer and teach/tutor privately, write course books or exam materials or work in teacher training.

You bring the language, literature and culture of the English-speaking world to the pupils in an exciting and involved way, and using a variety of teaching methods. You also guide and mentor young minds in their journey towards adulthood.

You focus on the practical use of English, training young adults going to a vocational school (MBO or ROC in Dutch) and preparing them for their future jobs. You do this using a communicative approach.

At a language school in the Netherlands or abroad, you teach English to people from all ages and backgrounds. Many will be travelling to learn English, and you might make some great friends from around the world in the process.

You keep up to date with the latest in (online) learning methods and you create course materials that are easy and fun to use. Or, you focus on course objectives and create exams to test participants.

If you want to combine a career with another job or continued studies, you can choose to go freelance. You may give private English lessons, or tutor students and help with homework. The choices are endless.

You can get started at

  • Dutch secondary schools
  • Dutch vocational schools
  • Language institutes around the world
  • Publishers
  • Governmental institutions
Three students talking & working together

Job opportunity


    Keep on studying after earning your degree?

    After your graduation, you may continue your education towards a Master's degree at a college or university around the world. In some cases, you may need a special minor to enrol, or follow an extra preparation course which may take up to a year.

    Students can continue their studies with a Master of Education, taught either in a combination of Dutch and English or only in English.

    Stay in touch

    We like keeping in touch with former students, and we advise you to do the same. They are a great source of information about developments in your field. And in the connected world of today, a good network is of immense value for your career prospects and professional development.

    Three students stand in front of the colourful façade of Padualaan 97 in Utrecht

    Interested in the Bachelor's programme Teacher Education in English?

    Follow us on