SMART AI-based self-management app in hip and knee osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis of the hip and knee is a major health problem, but non-surgical treatment options are not always fully utilized. Data science offers new possibilities to predict when someone might benefit from certain guidance. In this project, we develop a smart (AI-supported) self-management app step by step, with input from end users, experts and literature.
The aim of this project is to generate scientific knowledge about developing a useful, AI-supported, app that offers tailored coaching at the right time to promote self-management in people with hip or knee osteoarthritis.
- An AI model with predictive factors for complaints in hip and knee osteoarthritis, using continuously measured data
- The needs, wishes and experiences of end users (citizens and care providers) with regard to coaching using smart technology
- Knowledge about strategies to create citizens' confidence in smart technology
- The use, usability and first indications of effectiveness of AI in the care of people with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee
- The knowledge gained can contribute to the development of smart interventions for other populations
01 September 2022 - 31 August 2027
A systematic review is started, followed by qualitative research methods. Based on these results, a first prototype AI model and an app will be developed and evaluated.
This research has the following added value for practice:
- Current interventions for osteoarthritis last for a defined number of weeks and are therefore not well suited to the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis.
- With this research, an intervention is being developed that can continuously support self-management, a need that exists within professional practice.
- Within the development, specific attention is paid to users with limited digital and health skills, in order to improve care for all people.
- The app is managed by people, who can decide for themselves who has access to his or her data. This means that all healthcare providers can benefit from this project.