Prof. Elly de Bruijn (1960) has been a lecturer in Vocational Education since 2007. She combined this position with a professorship by special appointment, first at Utrecht University between 2005-2015 and then since 2016 at the Open University of the Netherlands. Elly de Bruijn has also been the director of the Research centre for Learning and Innovation since 2017.
As professor, Elly stood at the helm of the founding of the Expertise Centre for HPE Lecturers, an institution that seeks to guarantee the quality of education at HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht by way of professionalisation programmes for lecturers. She is closely involved in the Professional Vocational Education (MEB) master degree programme for (teachers of vocational subjects).
Elly studied Educational Psychology and Educational Studies at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). Previously, she worked as an educational developer, researcher and university lecturer at the University of Amsterdam and at CINOP. In 1997 she obtained her doctorate with a study on the relationship between educational design and the value of secondary vocational education.
Fields of expertise
- Vocational Education
- Learning and development in vocational education
- Pedagogical-didactic aspects of training for professional practice
- Exploring Co-Construction of Learning Environments at the Boundary of School and Work Through the Lens of Vocational Practice
- Multilevel design considerations for vocational curricula at the boundary of school and work
- Designable elements of integrative learning environments at the boundary of school and work A multiple case study