The Next Level Engineering programme is designed for ambitious technical Bachelors from several backgrounds: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management or Built Environment. Students of these or similar programmes are eligible to start the Master if they follow the steps of the admission procedure.
To be admissible for the Master you need a relevant Bachelor degree in a technical domain, such as:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- Built Environment
With other technical degrees and a high motivation for this master degree, please contact us to discuss the possibilities.
All potential foreign students need to follow the admission procedure and prove their English skills at TOEFL internet level 90 or IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.5 for speaking and no subscore under 6.0. See our language requirements for more information.
Exemptions may apply. Ask our programme coordinator for details (MasterNLE@hu.nl).
Apply via Studielink and send an e-mail to MasterNLE@hu.nl to express your wish to be part of the Master Next Level Engineering Programme. You will receive an invitation for the mandatory Admission Procedure.
The admission consists of:
- a motivation letter
- an online analytical test and
- an intake interview (via skype if necessary)
- non-EU/EEA students: 30 April 2020
- EU/EEA students: 15 July 2020
- Dutch students: 31 August 2020
We would like you to show your motivation to be part of this specific Master programme and learning community. You will write a motivation letter in which you prepare yourself for the programme with ‘the end in mind’. Your assignment is as follows:
- Search for a vacancy of your future dream job for which this Master Next Level Engineering programme could be vital.
- Write a motivation letter supposedly to the organization of the vacancy (but address it to the programme coordinator of the Master Next Level Engineering) pretending you have already finished Master Next Level Engineering,
- Explain what this Master programme (supposedly) has brought you in terms of knowledge, competences and skills you have developed that are relevant for this job.
- Send the e-mail to MasterNLE@hu.nl together with a document with the vacancy and the most recent Transcript of Records of your Bachelor programme.
Take the online analytical test on one of the given dates.
This test is meant for you to find out if you have the required basic knowledge of math and statistics on which courses of this Master programme will build. You can study for the analytical test independently using the documents sent to you for this purpose. During the online test you can use a calculator but we suggest you don’t use any other help while taking the test.
This test is designed to have predictive value as to what extent you will be able to master some of the more technical courses in the programme.
One week after you took the analytical test you are scheduled for an interview. This interview can take place at the Utrecht Science Park or online, depending on your preferences.
After this interview we will advise you on how we see your chances in the programme.
|Date of online analytical Test
|Motivation letter deadline
||Skype or real life interview
|23 March 2020
||23 March 2020
||30 March 2020
|15 April 2020
||15 April 2020
||21 April 2020
|11 May 2020
||11 May 2020
||18 May 2020
|20 May 2020
||20 May 2020
||27 May 2020
|15 June 2020
||15 June 2020
||23 June 2020
|6 July 2020
||6 July 2020
||13 July 2020
|19 August 2020
||19 August 2020
||24 August 2020
We expect you to be present during the two day introduction in the last week of August. During this introduction you will get to know the team of teachers and your fellow students who will be so important during the programme. Dates soon to be announced.